Friday, June 10, 2011

jasmine tea ice cream


I love the floral note in jasmine tea, so when I saw Gourmantine's post on jasmine ice cream, I wanted to try making it!  I love David Lebovitz's green tea ice cream recipe though (from his book "The Perfect Scoop") - it has just the right amount of sweetness and creaminess - so I decided to do a combination of the two recipes.


I infused cream and milk with loose-leaf jasmine tea, strained it, and then tempered egg yolks with the warm liquid.  Then I put it back on the stove and cooked it over medium heat, until the mixture thickened into a custard.  I could have eaten the custard as-is at this point, perhaps poured over pound cake or fresh fruit, but fortunately I was able to resist, and instead let the mixture cool in the fridge.


A few hours later, the custard had thickened even more, and was now ready for the ice cream machine.  I let it churn for 25 minutes, and then put the soft ice cream in the freezer to let it set for the night.  When I tasted it the next morning (yes, I had ice cream for breakfast), I was blown away by the flavor of the jasmine, and the creaminess of the texture.  I think I might like this even better than green tea ice cream!


This ice cream was velvety smooth, unlike my green tea ice cream which had a slight grittiness to it (I had thought it might have been from the brand of green tea powder I used, which is added directly to the custard instead of steeping it with tea leaves.  I guess this proves my theory to be correct!).  In any case, I think I'll try this infusion method for earl grey ice cream too!

6 comments:

  1. Yum! that sounds like a great breakfast!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't usually care for green tea ice cream, but I could definitely get behind jasmine or (creme de la) earl grey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Hsing - it was! and i'm pretty sure that with all your recent ice cream making, you've had ice cream for breakfast too before, right? ;) hee hee

    @Erin - looks like i was wrong in my previous post - you are the only one i know (so far) who doesn't love green tea ice cream!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi!
    I got here by searching for jasmine tea ice cream...and I would LOVE to make this, it looks and sounds amazing...
    But I'm not good enough at cooking yet to know what "tempered" means...or even "infused" in this case. Would you mind explaining a little?
    Sorry to bother you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, perhaps I'm not looking hard enough, but where are the recipes???

    ReplyDelete