Sunday, March 1, 2015

circus carnival cake with fondant mustache baby topper



Remember this chevron baby gender reveal cake that I did for my friend Monica? Well when it was finally time for the baby shower last fall, they asked me to make the baby shower cake as well! The shower was going to have a circus theme, so Monica sent me a pictures of of circus cakes that she wanted me to replicate. The two main attractions of the cake would be the toppers - one would be a fondant baby with a mustache, and the other would be a fondant lion.

For the fondant baby, I shaped the baby's head and body out of fondant colored with ivory gel-based food coloring, and also rolled out pieces for the arms and feet. For the diaper, I rolled out a long strip and wrapped it around the baby.


And for the face, I used food markers to draw on the eyes, mustache and smile. 


For the lion, I colored fondant with orange and golden yellow food coloring, and then rolled them out. For the head I used a circle cookie cutter, and for the man I used a flower cookie cutter, but for the rest I just used a knife to cut out the shapes that I needed (the bangs, tail, ears, etc).


The cake itself was a chocolate cake, filled with fresh strawberries and whipped cream. You've seen me do this several times before, so I only have an instragram photo of this part :)


The top tier of the cake was a 6-inch cake, which I covered with cream cheese buttercream.


I used this basketweave tip to pipe circus-like verticle stripes with red frosting.


The bottom tier was a 10-inch cake, which I covered in blue cream cheese buttercream, and then piped a rainbow border along the bottom of the cake. (I originally only did red, orange, yellow, and green, but it ended up looking more "candyland" than "circus", so later on I also added blue to the border).

To support the top tier of the cake, I used five bamboo skewers - four of them were cut to the height of the cake for the top tier to rest on, and the fifth was full length and would go through the center of the top tier, to ensure that it didn't fall or slide off.


Then I piped large rainbow polka dots to the bottom tier, before assembling the tiers and adding the toppers. (I also added a little curl to the top of the baby's head, at the request of the mom-to-be!)




When I went to deliver the cake to the baby shower, I was blown away by all of the circus-themed decorations - everything was so adorable! From the mustache tablecloth, to the giant marquee circus letters at the dessert table, the circus-themed games, photo booth, and table decorations, everything looked perfect!



Congratulations Sofi!

4 comments:

  1. Hi, I have a question that is not related to this post but your older post. I would like to know where you bought your baby shower cookie cutter. I also end up buying either too big or too small. Could you provide the brand of your cookie cutter or the link where you bought yours? Thank you. Alice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Athena Hou - hmm, by "baby shower cookie cutter" do you mean the baby onesie cookie cutter? if so, this is the one i use! http://amzn.to/1JEoeVX

      Delete
  2. Michele, thank you so much for making this cake a reality!! It was gorgeous and yummy! Everyone was blown away by it!
    Mari - Sofi's sister

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Mari - oh my goodness, nice to "meet" you mari! i had so much fun making this cake and am so glad that sofi asked me to make it! and i'm very happy to hear that everyone enjoyed it. you gals did such a great job planning it and setting it up, the party space was beautiful!!! congrats again to sofi! :)

      Delete