Sunday, March 13, 2016

glittery shamrock cookies for st. patrick's day


Last year for my daughter's St. Patrick's Day party at school, I signed up to make cookies (of course). And since my cousin Yvonne had given me this adorable jar of green shimmer sprinkles, I just had to use them!


I started with my favorite sugar cookie dough that I always use (recipe in my book, The Hello Kitty Baking Book!), rolled it out until about 1/8" thick, and used a shamrock cookie cutter (which I believe is from a Crate & Barrel cookie cutter set that my friend Diana gave me years ago).


Then before baking the cookies, I brushed them lightly with egg whites, and added my sparkly green sprinkles. 


I had used the cookie cutter to help me out so I wouldn't get sprinkles everywhere, but in hindsight I think I shouldn't have done that because it left me with bare edges that had no sprinkles!



Then I baked them at 350F for 10-12 minutes until the edges of the cookies were golden.



I thought they came out pretty cute, and using the sprinkles was much easier than outlining and flooding each cookie with royal icing. But I still felt the edges were too bare, so I ended up piping green royal icing around the edges, just to give it a more finished look.


Happy St. Patrick's Day, everyone!

2 comments: